 Trains / 20991
20990  |  20992
Subject:
Smooth power or PWM for Lego train motors?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 2 Sep 2003 07:02:36 GMT

I've seen the DCC mod some people have made to motors, and read about the
overheating problem.  Does DCC provide smooth DC to the motor or PWM?  If it's
PWM, the motor will heat up twice as much as usual.

I once tried a 9V train motor with a 12V transformer up to 9V but the buzz was
horrible!  This used full wave rectified power in a similar way to controllers
from non-Lego railways.  I concluded that 9V motors need smooth power and have
used that ever since.  I use a dual 30V 3A smooth DC power supply to power my
Lego trains, especially since some have four motors and one happily draws 1 Amp
round the curves.

I reckon the motors are 3 Watt ones, so I allow 300mA per motor when running the
trains (in proportion to the applied voltage though).  Some of my steam engines
have Technic gearmotors (also 3 Watt motors) to turn the driving wheels and I
make sure the load on them is small as I build.