 Trains / 2089
Re: New box cars
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 8 Sep 1999 03:24:58 GMT

On Wed, 8 Sep 1999 01:44:02 GMT, Larry Pieniazek <lar@voyager.net>
wrote:

Nice. Very nice. Except for those pesky decals. :-)

one nit... the grab irons (on the right side) are too close together.
They should be spaced the spacing of a widely spaced ladder rung. (yes,
I know that's the spacing of the minifig ladder, but it's too close...)
so that you have about 6 total instead of 9

Also the truck detail is nice. I usually put  SOME detail on mine but
haven't yet settled on what looks most like a AAR standard truck.

SEBarile wrote:

I built a new set of box cars. Love to get some feedback.

steve.bar.home.att.net

SteveB
PNLTC

Something else to keep in mind that are easily duplicated in LEGO is
that if this is a modern reefer, there should be some sort of cooling
unit built in. On the older reefers, there would be hatches in the
roof for ice, those could be easily replicated on a flat roof, but I'm
not so sure about a peaked one.

On modern reefers, there is a cooling unit mounted on one end of the
car. There are vents that are usually about 2 to 3 feet wide and about
3 or 4 feet high on both sides on one end of the car, starting in
height from the floor of the car. The cooling unit gets its fuel from
a tank located on the bottom (underneath) of the car. There are gauges
on both sides along with a fueling port. The tank is probably only
about 1 foot in depth, but it goes between both sides of the car, and
is slightly shorter then the length between the trucks.

Also on most boxcars there is a small walkway on the ends of the car,
above the couplers along with grab irons at about waist level above
that walkway. One end of the car should have a brake wheel too,
mounted at about the same level of the grab irons above the walkway.

Just assisting in pointing out some minor details on some excellent
boxcars, seeing that I handle these type of cars every day at the
Northeast Ohio Food Terminal, which is served by Norfolk Southern.

Jeff Christner

Visit Sixby Fire Tech at - http://members.aol.com/regult/

Help support my LEGO habit. Ship by rail.
Visit http://www.nscorp.com/ to find out how.