 Trains / 20859
Re: New try at German Double Decker Commuter Train
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 14 Aug 2003 23:08:31 GMT

In lugnet.trains, James Mathis wrote:
   I have revisited this train design a few times since the original back in 1997 or 1998, I think. Here it is, an attempt to model a German double decker commuter train, revised one more time.

Viw Prior versions for comparison.

This latest version 11 also introduces a new locomotive design inspired by the DB class 143.

Both the v11 double decker set and the DB class 143 locomotive are purposefully intended to be simple and straight-forward in design. Nearly zero SNOT. That which is SNOT is quite simple-- headlights, one-piece fuel tank. The construction is anticipated to be more of a “table-up” build process-- simplified for younger builders(?). But, at the same time, the effort to create a recognizable and strong appearance drove the design.

Impossible-to-find elements do creep into the model. Favoured are the tall arches in transparent gray/black (opt to solid black?) and the “train roof” element in red on the locomotive (sub gray).

Regarding the double deck floor plan, figs below get chairs, while those up-top do not in the effort to lower the height by just one-more (wafer thin chocolate mint) plate.

The entire upper section of the double deck is intended to lift-off with a unique split taking the top of the vestibule/diaphram along for the removal.

Thanks for looking. later,

James Mathis

Wow James! I really love the lines of the new double-deckers. Much better than the previous ones, in my mind. Only, I think the upper windows seems to be a bit oversized? And of course - I wish they came in Danish DSB colours instead! ;-)

Great job.

Take care, Kecia