 Trains / 20738
20737  |  20739
Subject:
Danish version of german double deck wagons
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.announce.moc
Date:
Tue, 29 Jul 2003 09:58:49 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Hi,

Recently, the Danish State Railway (DSB) has rented quite a few german double
deck wagons to replace some old passenger cars still in use. I believe I've seen
several LEGO versions of these double deck wagons (in the colors used by
Deutsche Bahn), including James Mathis'
(http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=25024).

DSB repainted the wagons according to their new design schema (different shades
of grey and white with a wide horizontal blue stripe) and I now present my LEGO
version of these wagons.

All pictures can be found at:

The wagons:
-----------

I wanted the slope of the front and the upper windows to be just right and
finally I came up with this design. Especially the front is quite tricky and it
was necessary with a large inner structure to keep it all together:

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/esbenkolind/DoubleDeck/instr_3.jpg

If you look carefully, you will see how the front is built from bricks lying in
three different "directions" (not counting the long vertical tiles)

I've included a series of pictures making up a simple instruction (instr_1.jpg
to instr_21.jpg) and showing how the wagons are built from several modules
(lower windows, upper deck, upper windows etc.) Notice how the lower windows are
kept in position by the caps of two of the passengers :-)
(http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/esbenkolind/DoubleDeck/instr_18.jpg)
Have I had the right SNOT bricks the design would obviously have looked a lot
different, actually there would have been no need for the large inner
structures.

Pictures of the real life wagons can be found here (also including a few
pictures of the german version for comparison):

The engine:
-----------

The engine is a standard danish ME locomotive also recently repainted in shades
of blue and red (the red "art" on the side of the engine is actually the logo of
DSB, a stylistic sketch of a wing and a wheel (!) )

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/esbenkolind/DoubleDeck/snot_2.jpg

I made a model of the old version of the engine (black with red fronts) a year
ago, it can be found here: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=23691

I think the new version is a lot nicer (in real life as well as in my LEGO
interpretation)

Also in this case I've included pictures of the SNOT construction of the front
of the engine:

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/esbenkolind/DoubleDeck/snot_5.jpg

Real life pictures of the engine:

Well, that's about it. PLMKWYT!

Have fun,

Esben
Copenhagen, Denmark
(recently returned from two wonderful days in Legoland, Billund, my pockets full
of bricks from the BrickShop, no SNOT bricks unfortunately ;-(