 Trains / 20702
Re: Gray-era flip open boxes
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 22 Jul 2003 16:02:46 GMT

Bryan Kinkel wrote:

I recently won an auction for a 7813 Shell Wagon and I was surprised to
find that it had a standard "open at the end" style box.

My 7820 Mail Vans, 7818 Passenger Coach and 7814 Crane Wagon have much
sturdier "top flips open" box. These boxes are really much nicer and offer
excellent protection for these older sets.

Just out of curiosity, did Lego make a switch in the early 80's from the
nice flip top boxes to standard style boxes? Or did only the larger cars
ship in the flip tops?

Does anyone have a list of which train engines & cars sets shipped in
which style box?

Not sure, but I know my 7821 car came in a flip top box (I only have the top
lid), and it's in the same price range as the 7813 car. 7813 is from 1986,
so I suspect there was a switch around 1985, when the new trains were
released.
--
Jan-Albert van Ree   | http://www.vanree.net/~javanree/
LEGO Santa Fe B-unit | http://www.vanree.net/~javanree/lego/f7b.html