 Trains / 20409
Re: Layout Design Question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 18 Jun 2003 07:56:18 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Jeff Christner wrote:
Anyway here is a picture of a smaller version of the loop. If I hooked up
power where the red dots are would this really create a short circuit?

Yes, it does -sort off-. The switch only turns power on/off for the two inside
rails. the two outside rails always remain electrically conductive. Since the
outside rail goes all the way round, you would create equal polarity on the
track that is not inside the loop. The trains would not run here, because the
two rails would be feed either both + or both -

For a low tech solution of the reversing loop problem, see:
http://www.ngltc.org/train_depot/reverse2.htm

(Part of Matt’s LEGO® Train Depot: http://www.ngltc.org/train_depot/ )

If you're prepared to leave the switch in the "straight" position all the time
(so that your train always runs through the loop counterclockwise), you can
manage with 3 insulation spots instead of 4. In this case, omit the insulation
spot closest to the switch on the inside leg. In this variant, the power routing
of the switch (only present in it's straight position) functions as the 4th
insulation spot. When the train exits the loop, do not set switch with this
variant, but let the train push open the spring-loaded switch mechanism.

There are also many automated solutions around, with the RCX-brick for instance.
You'll find them when you enter "reversing loop" in the search box.

With friendly greetings, M. Moolhuysen.