 Trains / 20406
20405  |  20407
Subject:
Layout Design Question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 18 Jun 2003 04:16:57 GMT

I was thinking about setting up my second LEGO switching layout, with this one based on a prototypical track layout which features what amounts to a reverse loop. The loop area serves several industries and the lead into the loop goes to a yard, which I wouldn’t actually model. In fact the industrial tracks today are abandoned and the yard is torn up and gone.

Anyway here is a picture of a smaller version of the loop. If I hooked up power where the red dots are would this really create a short circuit? Since I’m waiting for a new shipment of track and switches from LEGO and I don’t have enough curves anyway, I can’t test this layout myself.

It seems to me that since the turnouts route power, the lead is powered depending on which way the switch is lined. I planned to use the lead as sort of an interchange track, but you could also use it as a “run around” track.

In other train news, I made my first piece of flextrack for LEGO trains today. This is my first prototype, and it needs alot more work, and may never be ready for mass production, but it’s pretty cool anyway. Sorry, no pics yet.

Jeff Christner