 Trains / 20072
Re: Black train wheels, red axles
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sun, 11 May 2003 22:49:49 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Peter Naulls writes:

I recently aquired a 7745 (great train, incidentally), but one thing
about it surprised me.  All the wheels (except on the motor of course)
were black with red axles.  The instructions nor any photos I've see
of this set have this.  So is it some variation on the set?  Did the
wheels come from another set (I don't know any other set with this
either), or have they had axles swapped, and there's a set of red
with black axles around somewhere.

I've converted the train to 9V, including its wheels (which run much
better), so the set of 11 might be going spare to swap for other train
parts (including 9V wheels) if the "price" is right and these are of
any specific interest to anyone.

Peter

Hi Peter,

that topic has been discussed several times before in 1000steine.de and
lugnet.train, so check out for e.g. this old posting:

http://news.lugnet.com/trains/?n=2635

It seems that TLC has been short with black pins in middle of the 90ies. In
those days they brought out the 7745/7735/7819 and all of them appeared partly
with these colour mix. At least these three sets do have these black wheels
with red pin, maybe even some more sets from that time?

In my eyes that does look quite ugly and I do not know anybody who really likes
these special wheel sets.... they might be somewhat rare (but are far from
being really rare), and they are not very requested as it seems. So their worth
is really limited. Do not expect too much by auctioning them......

Regards,

Ben