 Trains / 1975
Re: 13V ~ port on 12V transformer
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 23 Aug 1999 07:34:21 GMT

This means, that now when we have 230V in Europe (European Union standard as
it is between 220 and 240V and whitin the limits), that it will be app 5% more
~almost 14V.

I have never checkid it, but the 741 (740, 742) is only a transformer
basically and some diodes?

Sonnich

In lugnet.trains, Tom McDonald writes:
In lugnet.trains, Simon Denscombe writes:
My question is what is it for?

My dad says it is the first change after the step-down from 240V (Europeans • who
use 220V transformers have a 12V ac port).  The other 2 ports on the • tranformer
have a use - one for accessories, one for control of the train.

Why provide a port that has no use?

Your dad is correct.

I'm not exactly sure why that port is provided except for testing or
troubleshooting the transformer. 13V is also true of transformers here in the
States.

I've heard that 13V is used because transformers can dry out over time, thus
a reduction in efficiency, so they add an extra volt to extend the usable
lifetime.

-Tom McD.
when replying, it wasn't the little dutch boy's finger; it was a wad of
spamcake!