 Trains / 19681
Re: 12V and 9V on same track footprint
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 1 Apr 2003 07:17:56 GMT

I've also been considering (as I believe many people have), the ways in
which 12V and 9V trains might run together. Slotting the 12V conductor rails
into 9V track seems the most obvious solution, but there are two major
problems; it doesn't work for the curves and the points are never going to
be electrified without some serious chopping of conductor rails (has anyone
tried this?).

The other possibility seems like a non-starter at first - electrify 12V
rails for 9V use. This would possibly be a better solution in my opinion, as
I prefer the 12V point geometry (although it's no good if you like to build
8-wide).  Other than using sticky copper tape (well known to slot car
enthusiasts) I can't think of a valid way of doing this.

Which leads us back to adapting the 9V motor for 12V track - maybe Ben
(Beneke) could manufacture us some? (I've actually had the pleasure of
meeting Ben and his adapted motors are very neat).

Andy