 Trains / 19584
19583  |  19585
Subject:
New Train Fan
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 27 Mar 2003 01:46:55 GMT

Last year around October I posted a message asking for help identifying the
best train set on the market for a newbie.  You may remember these polls:

http://members.lugnet.com/polls/results/?n=103
http://members.lugnet.com/polls/results/?n=104
http://members.lugnet.com/polls/results/?n=105

I was trying to get a good idea of what to purchase as a Christmas present
for my father.  I had always remembered him drooling over the Lego train
section in TRU.  I decided it was time to get my dad that set he had always
wanted.  Based on the results I purchased the K10001 Deluxe Metroliner Kit
from Lego Direct for $167.00.  My brother and sister also chipped in so the
present wasn't too tough on the budget.  Anyway, I'd like to thank everyone
who participated in the poll and let you know how it turned out.

Since Christmas my dad has really had a good time with the set.  He is
converting a spare bedroom to a "Lego Train Room" and has made numerous
purchases on Ebay and Bricklink.  This is without a doubt the best Christmas
present I have ever purchased for him.  He admitted to me that he felt a
mixture of guilty excitement when he opened the present.  This was something
that he had always wanted but figured he was too old for!

Of course there is a negative side to everything.  You've helped create
competition for everyone train auction or sale on the web.  My dad was just
bragging to me how he purchased a 4551 Crocodile Engine on Ebay.  He was
very excited!

I'm sure none of this is a surprise to anyone, but I hope I've added some
enjoyment to your hobby by sharing this story.

-Aaron