 Trains / 19513
19512  |  19514
Subject:
Monrail semi-innovations..kinda.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.town, lugnet.trains, lugnet.org.us.michlug
Date:
Sun, 16 Mar 2003 15:21:31 GMT

Hello everyone,

After about two months of work, I figured I'd go ahead and post my monorail
stuff.  I've been trying to assemble a monorail that uses no monorail parts.
Unfortunately, it hasn't met with much sucess.

Design #1:
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/sastrei/Monorail/AlternativePower/monotrain.jpg

This one seems to work well.  Unfortunately it uses monorail bogies, which
are, as I learned, very expensive to obtain in quantity.  The .dat files for
that one are available.  I created a rear camera car instead of a second cab
car, as I've never much cared for twin cab designs.

Design #2:
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/sastrei/Monorail/AlternativePower/mvc-045f.jpg

(series jumps to 48, then runs through 52)

This works ok.  No monorail parts!!!  Has to have the battery box on the
power car though; it can't pull it.  It uses a different size tire than the
first.  Also, it uses 1x1 rounds instead of bogies.

Major problem with both is they are unable to go up the monorail hills, and
the grey one can't go through monorail stop tracks or switches.

I found out two things of use though:
-1x1 round plates can be used to hold a car on the track, straddled over the
center beam.
-Lego really only makes three or four different sizes of tire.  They just
make a lot of different widths and tread patterns.

---

Along with Ken Koleda, I've also been working on Znap-based monorail system.

Photos of the power module for that are here:
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/sastrei/Monorail/ZnapMonorail/mvc-060f.jpg

(series runs to 62)

It's not going to come to completion, as there is no room (function and
space-wise) for it in upcoming MichLUG displays, and curves are almost
impossible without extreme shortening of the carbody.

---

Also, there is my conventional monorail I just finished.

It's 6-wide, and was built mainly to use my new green windows I got from a
friend.  It has boarding ramps, and seats 5.

Here:
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/sastrei/Monorail/SpaceTransport/mvc-053f.jpg

(series runs through 59)

---

Once everything is moderated, all pics are here:

PLMKWYT!

-Stefan-