 Trains / 1907
Re: 6 wide, 8 wide, 10 wide vs scale of the radius of the track.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sat, 14 Aug 1999 18:19:08 GMT

Remember Ben, *gauge* refers to the distance between the rails, and is not to be
confused with *scale*.  I don't have any HO or N track lying around so I can't
measure, but if someone did we could figure out what the "real world" radius of
LEGO track *should* be very easily:
Lego gauge/HO gauge = X (real world radius of LEGO)/HO radius.  It is going to be
close to "0" scale, which is a fairly large scale to model indoors.

It is interesting to note that Playmobil trains run on "G" scale track, which is
considered garden rail size.  I would *love* to build LEGO trains that big, but
TLG would have to make bigger wheels, etc, etc.  They wouldn't *have* to redesign
the track; just make their stuff compatable with "G" as playmobil did.  OR how
about TLG making a new set of wheels compatable with "O" gauge track?  *That*
would be cool!

-John

Ben Fleskes wrote:

On of my rare posts on rtl got me thinking and decided to post something here
that would get the attention of the more serious Lego trainers.

It's been hashed through many times before.  If you were to build trains based
on the scale of Lego track, cars would be 8 or even 10 studs wide.

What if, instead, you scale the size of your cars based on the radius of the
track?

??  What about narrow gauge?  If you were modeling a narrow gauge line, you would
still be building 8-10 wide and getting even *closer* to realism.

Comparing Lego gauge tack to Model railroad track, the radius appears to be
close to N gauge.  which has dinky little trains.  Or possibly HO if they are
running a really tight radius.  Thus Lego train scale is abviously a
compromise favoring the side of playability, not realism.  Which is just fine
with me.

As with me.  I realize that no matter how hard we try, our trains will never
really look "right" or precise.  We are too constrained by the medium.  And I am
really ok with that:-)   I love the minifig shape, and as long as one tries to
incorporate minifigs into their trains, it will look toyish.  BUT the closer
people come to modeling the prototypes within the given constraints, *that* is
what turns my crank:-)

If anyone has done the calculation to compare the radius of Lego track with
'real world' I'd like to see the numbers.

Ben Fleskes
PNLTC