 Trains / 1904
1903  |  1905
Subject:
6 wide, 8 wide, 10 wide vs scale of the radius of the track.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sat, 14 Aug 1999 16:29:19 GMT

On of my rare posts on rtl got me thinking and decided to post something here
that would get the attention of the more serious Lego trainers.

It's been hashed through many times before.  If you were to build trains based
on the scale of Lego track, cars would be 8 or even 10 studs wide.

What if, instead, you scale the size of your cars based on the radius of the
track?

Comparing Lego gauge tack to Model railroad track, the radius appears to be
close to N gauge.  which has dinky little trains.  Or possibly HO if they are
running a really tight radius.  Thus Lego train scale is abviously a
compromise favoring the side of playability, not realism.  Which is just fine
with me.

If anyone has done the calculation to compare the radius of Lego track with
'real world' I'd like to see the numbers.

Ben Fleskes
PNLTC