 Trains / 18496
Re: X-10 Wireless Camera Train Car
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sat, 23 Nov 2002 01:00:59 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Chris Phillips writes:
Here's the car:

Looking forward to seeing your design after brickshelf moderation!

I'm going to try it again on our next layout, probably with different
placement of the receiver to try to get a better picture.  Has anyone else
tried this?  How were your results?

Michael Hader built one of these in 2000 and brought it to a few NGLTC
shows.  Michael's car had headlights for the tunnels and was very functional
in design.  It didn't have a motor of its own, so it was either towed or
pushed around the track.

Here is his page about the Camera Car I:
http://www.mhader.com/lego/train/camcar01/index.html

We too noticed that the interference was a lot worse than expected.  At one
of the shows, when we first hooked everything up, we realized that one of
the n-scale layouts was using the same camera, also on the default
frequency.  Our receiver was pretty close to their layout, so their signal
overpowered ours and we had to switch to the next (of 4) frequency on the
camera.

At the next show, imagine our surprise when we looked across the (huge) room
and saw our Lego town on the TV screen of a G-Scale layout!  They were very
confused as to why their train was driving through a Lego town. :)  I still
can't believe that our signal overpowered theirs from across that room.

The moral of this story is: make sure you can still get to the frequency
adjustment switch if you need to.  Also, if more than 4 cameras are present,
you may have problems.

Ben Roller