 Trains / 18495
18494  |  18496
Subject:
X-10 Wireless Camera Train Car
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 22 Nov 2002 23:51:30 GMT

They said it couldn't be done!  Actually, that was me.  I said it couldn't
be done.  Never say that.

I built a train car to carry a wireless X-10 camera around the track for
NELUG's layout last weekend.  The camera placement is designed to provide an
Engineer's eye view of the layout when the camera is aimed straight ahead,
but can be turned sideways for a passenger's-eye view "out the window" of
the train.

Here's the car:

The screws that connect the camera to the battery housing were exactly the
distance between the outer two holes in a 2x8 Technic plate, and the
recesses in the camera housing accepted Technic pins almost as if designed
for that purpose.  As a result, it was possible to connect the camera to the
train without permanently modifying it.

Despite showing huge promise, the results so far have been disappointing.
The camera transmits the video at 2.4GHz, and it works just fine in my
living room.  But on the track last weekend, there was so much interference
that the videos that I shot aren't really worth the bandwidth to post.
(Your bandwidth or mine.)  It's a shame because the angle was really cool.

I'm going to try it again on our next layout, probably with different
placement of the receiver to try to get a better picture.  Has anyone else
tried this?  How were your results?