 Trains / 18363 (-20)
  Re: Switching yards that actually work

(...) I'm glad to have been of service :-) Yes, you rendered it about right according to the instructions I gave. One of these days I'll get around to posting some of my TD doodles on Brickshelf. Maybe even today. --Bill. (22 years ago, 15-Nov-02, to lugnet.trains)

  New MOC: 4-4-4 Steam Engine

Hi All, In a massive departure from my usual modus operandi, I finished up my latest project last night; a 4-4-4 steam engine. The uncharted territory (for me at least) comes from the fact that (a) the steam engine is *6-wide*, and (b) it is not (...) (22 years ago, 15-Nov-02, to lugnet.announce.moc, lugnet.trains) !

  Re: Switching yards that actually work

Now THIS is a very good switching yard (the 'to download' one). Great 'extra' advantage: there are pairs of L en R switches, the way we often have to buy these things! I'm definitely going to build it these days. Keep designing guys! I love this (...) (22 years ago, 15-Nov-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Switching yards that actually work

(...) Have a boo at my take on Bill's switching yard: (URL) did a TD from his instructions, as others here have, and then I modified it a bit so that the switches for the points are not overlapping the ties of adjacent tracks. Both layouts are shown (...) (22 years ago, 15-Nov-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Switching yards that actually work

(...) Darn it! Well, it works great in track designer :-) I wish track designer had a way of pointing out that kind of issue. It's a bug!! But the good news is that 2 switches can be replaced by two straights and a switch, you can replace two of the (...) (22 years ago, 15-Nov-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Switching yards that actually work

(...) Agreed. I have tried it and the part that sticks out for the switch arm will overlap part of the track beside it. Unfortunate, but that's the facts. Keep trying though, and let us know how you make out. Play well. Tim Strutt (22 years ago, 15-Nov-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Switching yards that actually work

Sorry to disappoint you, but you can't connect switches like that. There has to be 1 piece of track between the switches, try it in real life, and wheep... Klaas H. Meijaard (...) (22 years ago, 15-Nov-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Switching yards that actually work

(...) <snip the very good text-list description> (...) Bill, You got me curious. I couldn't visualize the text description, so I built it up in Track Designer. Thanks for the very good construction description. Here's what I ended up with following (...) (22 years ago, 14-Nov-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Getting diagonal track to line up properly?

(...) It's close enough that TD considers it to be connected, and that's good enough for me. I used it for the yard design I just posted (q.v.) --Bill. (22 years ago, 14-Nov-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Switching yards that actually work

I've been dabbling with track designer, making switching yards. The latest thread on diagonal track layouts has given me some more tricks to get it to actually line up at the beginning and end with 8- or 16-stud intervals. The following issues make (...) (22 years ago, 14-Nov-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Almost a drug...

(...) I was not moderated due to technical difficulties. But they are there now. (URL) (22 years ago, 14-Nov-02, to lugnet.org.ca.monlug, lugnet.org.ca.parlugment, lugnet.trains)

  Re: Getting diagonal track to line up properly?

This has been an absolutely great thread, just packed with helpful ideas and findings (even some good track designs to get people thinking! Anyone want to volunteer to write up a summation and share it with Cary so it might get into the FAQ? Thanks (...) (22 years ago, 14-Nov-02, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.faq)

  Re: Getting diagonal track to line up properly?

(...) Does it work perfectly or does it go over in length by at least a half a stud? I couldn't tell from Track Designer. -chris (22 years ago, 14-Nov-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Getting diagonal track to line up properly?

(...) Here's some examples of non-standard connections I have played around with. All of these line up in Track Designer: (URL) if these links line-wrap. Folder is here when moderated, with TDL files: (URL) well. Tim Strutt (22 years ago, 13-Nov-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Getting diagonal track to line up properly?

(...) THANK YOU!!! This works perfectly! I just tested it in Track Designer.... --Bill. (22 years ago, 13-Nov-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Getting diagonal track to line up properly?

(...) John is correct; it's 1-13-3 that works. Blame my faulty memory, it's been a bit since I played in TD. (...) The 2-7-2 is close enough that it connects physically very soundly. The offset is roughly 1 stud. Easy enough to cover with slop, with (...) (22 years ago, 13-Nov-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: 4537 and 7722 Train cars for trade

(...) It is generally held to be, I believe. Posting for sale info isn't explicitly permitted in the header of the .trains group. I know that I'd be interesting in hearing more about your experiences in restoring these sets to their former glory (...) (22 years ago, 13-Nov-02, to lugnet.trains)

  4537 and 7722 Train cars for trade

Don't know whether this is off-topic.... If interested look here: (URL) (22 years ago, 13-Nov-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Getting diagonal track to line up properly?

(...) I don't have an equation, but I think one curve, 12 straights, one curve will do a dog-leg that is eight 32-stud baseplates long and 88 studs wide (3 baseplates minus 4 studs each side). -chris (22 years ago, 13-Nov-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Almost a drug...

(...) My Brickshelf directory is now moderated with pictures from the show: (URL) Brickshelf directory has lots of pictures too: (URL) still isn't moderated. :-( Play well. Tim Strutt (22 years ago, 13-Nov-02, to lugnet.org.ca.monlug, lugnet.org.ca.parlugment, lugnet.trains)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact