 Trains / 18361
Re: Switching yards that actually work
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 15 Nov 2002 07:50:53 GMT

Now THIS is a very good switching yard (the 'to download' one).

Great 'extra' advantage: there are pairs of L en R switches, the way we
often have to buy these things!
I'm definitely going to build it these days.

Keep designing guys! I love this thread.

And Bill: it is indeed a realistic configuration... now we only need
realistic-bend switches from Lego (but that was another interesting
recent thread)       :-)

Klaas

David Koudys wrote:

In lugnet.trains, William R. Ward writes:

greenman <klaas.mail@tref.nl> writes:

James Mathis wrote:

In lugnet.trains, William R. Ward writes:

I've been dabbling with track designer, making switching yards.  The
latest thread on diagonal track layouts has given me some more tricks
to get it to actually line up at the beginning and end with 8- or
16-stud intervals.

Bill, You got me curious.  I couldn't visualize the text
description, so I built it up in Track Designer.  Thanks for the
very good construction description.  Here's what I ended up with
following your description.  I hope I got it correct.
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/jamathis/Trains/TrainsOther/TrainLayouts/WilliamWardSwchYard/ward_switchyard.gif

Sorry to disappoint you, but you can't connect switches like that.
There has to be 1 piece of track between the switches, try it in real
life, and wheep...

Klaas H. Meijaard

Darn it!  Well, it works great in track designer :-)  I wish track
designer had a way of pointing out that kind of issue.  It's a bug!!

But the good news is that 2 switches can be replaced by two straights
and a switch, you can replace two of the through-tracks in the yard
with just one, adding a pair of straights on either side to center it.

James, you followed my instructions exactly right, by the way.  I was
too lazy to put the pic on Brickshelf, sorry.

I don't know a lot about railroad practices - is this a reasonably
realistic configuration for a prototypical switching yard?

--Bill.

Have a boo at my take on Bill's switching yard:

http://sparky.i989.net/layout.htm

I did a TD from his instructions, as others here have, and then I modified
it a bit so that the switches for the points are not overlapping the ties of
adjacent tracks.

Both layouts are shown in the pic.

Anyway, have a boo and thanks for the inspiration, Bill!

Dave K.