 Trains / 18107
Re: Cow & calf switcher engines and my (pathetic) train layout
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 22 Oct 2002 05:21:05 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Bob Parker writes:
In lugnet.announce.moc, Bob Parker writes:
Here's my attempt at a small switching engine with a matching calf unit.

Hey, I like it. Looks kind of familiar, though. L0L...

Well, you know what they say about the sincerest form of flatterty...

You beat me to a calf, I've been meaning to do one and just haven't got
round to it...

I was wondering when you would.

Also, there's a few pics of my current train layout.

You might want to consider resizing them, they're a bit hard to see all at
once for most people.

Yeah I'm still new to digital photography and have the toughest time making
them smaller and still fit the subject in the frame!

I think you just need to resize. It's not about composition so much as
scaling down what you take after you're done. For example this one
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=262697 at 1972x1272 could
easily be resized to say 1/4 the size with no loss in impact.

Most image programs (you may have gotten one with your camera) let you
manipulate images and resize them. I use Paint Shop Pro but it's just
inertia, there are a lot of good ones.

If you can't find one to use, check out Image Magick, a free image
manipulation utility, which will let you resize the images (after you take
them) to be smaller sizes... http://www.imagemagick.org/. However this is a
command line driven program so can be a bit trickier to use than a nice
fancy program with a GUI. (I use it in instruction production for file type
conversion and resizing within batch files that automatically resize my images)

PS, love that Kershaw Tie Crane in the lower left of the image I used as an
example... I just built one myself (no pics yet, but it will be on display
in Dearborn MI next week)...

++Lar