 Trains / 1809
Re: Uncouple Train Cars
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sun, 8 Aug 1999 05:44:45 GMT

Hi again,

I heard somewhere that one should never ask a question that one is not prepared
to answer oneself. So I took up my own challenge and, built a decoupler as
well.
Mine is 6 studs wide (facing the track) by 14 studs long (perpendicular to
track), and 7 bricks high. It is simple, works extremely reliably, sits next to
the track, and is disguised as a shed of sorts. Oh, and it works with both old
and new style couplers.

It uses one old-style motor with a forward/backward switch, two worm gears, two
gear racks, and a couple standard gears and axles. Also one unusual technic
piece that is exactly the right shape for the actual separator. I'll have to
look up what set it came with.

Took me two nights and about 6 hours to perfect last weekend. I'm pretty darn
pleased with it, actually.

I'll see if I can use this as an excuse to finally get my web site up. Been
wanting to show off my locomotives and rolling stock, anyway.

Ludo, I look forward to seeing your solution, as well.

Rick
jrclark@nospam.aol.com

---------------------------------

In lugnet.trains, Ludo Soete writes:
Hi you all,

It seems to be that there's a 'great ' demand for it so,
I accepted the challege to build a car uncoupler.

I worked 2 evenings on it to get something working, and it does work.
In case you 're interested,here some information.
Its 4 bricks high,and you need following parts:
gears Z8 (1),Z16 (7),Z24 (1),gearbox 5288 (1),Technic motor 5225 (1),
Technic beams,axles [ 4 studs long (2),6 studs long (1),12 studs long (1)]
straight track [cutting some pieces out (1)],some other beams and parts.

I hope to make the building instructions by the end of next week (my summer
hollyday ends then) and place them on my homepage.
When ready,I'll post it here.

When you are impatiant,and want to see a picture of it,mail me, ok?

regards,
Ludo