 Trains / 1805
Re: Train prices
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.trains
Date:
Sat, 7 Aug 1999 18:16:29 GMT

On Fri, 6 Aug 1999 09:52:14 GMT, Simon Robinson uttered the following
profundities...
Does anyone get the impression that TRU in the UK are
ripping us off for train prices?

I'm getting suspicious because
(a) TRU prices for things like the track and the 4532 level crossing
seem very high for the number of bricks in them.
(b) for all other Lego, TRU are usually one of the cheapest places,
but when it comes to trains, I've noticed small independent shops
generally seem to offer substantially better prices than TRU.
(c) I recall someone (Chris Dee I think) mentioning that prices were
much better on the continent for many train parts.

Examples:
4515 straight track: TRU usually GBP14.99, I've seen in other places for
more like GBP12.
4559 cargo railway: TRU was about GBP110, but I've seen it for
GBP 90 or GBP100 in smaller shops
4532 level crossing: I bought mine for I think GBP23 in TRU, but I've
noticed
them nearer to GBP20 elsewhere.

(NB. for people in other countries - use GBP2 = USD3 for quick but
quite accurate currency conversions)

These are differences of round about 20% in shops that are usually
as expensive or more much expensive
than TRU for almost everything else Lego-wise.

Simon
http://www.SimonRobinson.com

Though I am not a trainhead, I believe the Entertainer, (a
chain predominantly in the SE), is cheapest for track. Sorry,
but don't remember the prices off-hand, but believe them to be
around 11 or 12, compared to 15 at TRU.
richard.dee@nospam.virgin.net remove nospam.(lugnet excepted)
Web Site:   http://freespace.virgin.net/richard.dee/lego.html
ICQ 13177071                  AOL Instant Messenger: RJD88888