 Trains / 17610
Re: restoring, 9v, track
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 10 Sep 2002 02:59:43 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Wayne Sardullo writes:
I use two methods to clean track.

#1 Aggressive cleaning... use Brasso Silver Polish. this works the best!

#2 touchup cleaning..  Rubbing alcohol
Wayne

The timing of this thread is incredible!! (perhaps uncanny) -- since I was
about to ask this same question.

I know all about using alcohol from Wayne.  So I tried a new household sponge
soaked in 91% rubbing alchol (typical rubbing alchol is 70% isopropyl).  I
found this to be a waste of time.

I also believe the same about Brasso.  You can buff and polish till your
fingers hurt!  Perhaps I am impatient.

So yesterday I got out a big fat pink pencil eraser( aka: rubber).  Within
about 90 seconds I can rub the corrosion and finger oils off of
both rails of a piece of track and they look like new.  I have not
yet tested these out as I still have about a dozen pieces to be
cleaned.  I assume their will be no negative effects doing this.

Perhaps I should post back here with a report after I am done.  Unless
someone comes forth sooner to verify _or_ invalidate this method.
Until then, you can find me putting rubber to the rails...

__Kevin Salm__
....A Lego Train novice....

PS  Perhaps it would be helpful to note that none of my tracks are in really
poor condition, but a few cause my trains to slow down considerably.  Too much
work is involved after buying 9 volt track that is used, I guess.