 Trains / 17522
Re: Question for James Mathis about Orient Express train
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 2 Sep 2002 03:07:31 GMT

In lugnet.trains, John Warren writes:
James,
  Outstanding design on your new Orient Express locomotive and passenger
cars.  One of your best steam loco designs yet.  My question is concerning
the passenger cars.  Is there any way you could post a break down of how you
designed the trucks with the stairs attached to them?  I'm particuliarly
interested in the stair design.  They really add flavor the the whole
essence of the oldtime passenger consist.

This stair design still needs some structural reinforcement work.  It is not
secured to the truck as well at all.  Problem is with the buffer/coupler and
the use of the 1x2 Technic bricks with 2 side holes:  the only connection of
this assembly to the wheels is located on the underside of the wheel.  I
would like for there to be a connection to the topside of the wheel, as
well.  This might be accomplised by replacing the 1x2 Technic brick for a
1x1 Technic brick and then some plates to connect to the topside of the
wheels.  The stairs would then only be attached by one stud, but the
buffer/coupler connection to the wheels would be much stronger.

Here's the BS link to some instruction steps for the truck:

And deep links:

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/jamathis/Trains/Passenger/OrientExpress/v5/oeTruck/oe_v1_p1.gif

substitute "p1" sequentially with "p2" through "p9" to view all steps.

Thanks for the question and prompting me to try to think of a better
construction solution.  Any other ideas or improvements?

later,
James Mathis