 Trains / 17201
17200  |  17202
Subject:
First MOC - Galloping Goose #6
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.announce.moc
Date:
Thu, 8 Aug 2002 16:14:56 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Well, almost 2 years in the making, I've finally come up with an MOC that I
can post.

Short version:
Denver & Rio Grande utility engine #6, a Galloping Goose variant. Pictures
are on Brickshelf at:

Long version:

About two years ago, I helped BAYLTC at the NMRA convention. Somewhere along
the way that weekend, I was introduced to the various versions of the
Galloping Goose, and immediately determined that I should create a Lego
version. Easier said than done, of course. I collected all the model spec
sheets and catalogs from HO model train companies, and a few pictures from
gallopinggoose.org, and began to watch for Lego pieces which could model the
train.

It quickly became apparent that the engine/nose section would be the trouble
spot, because of the shape of the windscreen (effectively, a 3x6x6 slope
would be required - and not ever made by Lego) . And attaching the front
section to the back section would be precarious too.

After many stops and starts, I came up with a nose section I liked, so I
turned my attention to the cab and built that.

I finally decided that the mail delivery version (#2) wasn't going to
happen, and my version of the canteen (#4) didn't look great using arctic
shelter walls in blue (Mobile Outpost 6520 -
http://guide.lugnet.com/set/6520) or grey (Polar Base -
http://guide.lugnet.com/set/6575) because of the steepness of the top slope
part.

Then, at BricksWest,Steve Chuck announced his MOC Goose kit (grrr). Time was
of the essence!

So I defaulted to #6, a flatbed utilty truck.  Easy, until it came time to
attach the flatbed back to the cab/engine. That took some ingenuity. and a
bunch of plates.

I ordered Steve's Goose, based on the #4 canteen, built it, and decided that
my nose might not be as great as I thought it was. Thus was born the Working
Model version, with an alternate shape for the nose section.

After a test run at a BAYLTC meeting, I found out that the model was 12-wide
because of the 'snowplow', and that had to be changed . It's OK for display,
but not for layouts :-(  So I changed them out for 1x4x3 bar grilles (part
#6016) I also replaced the small town spoke wheels with older (red) train
wheels on a 2x4.

The Working model will run on layouts now because I added a motor to Stefan
Garcia's cable car (found on Jake McKee's site).

I will take more pictures at the GATS show this weekend. Comments and
thoughts welcome - I very interested in any thoughts on the 2 types of nose
section (engine cowling, really).

Thanks,

Paul Sinasohn
LUGNET #115