 Trains / 17123
Re: MOC Funiculaire (Mountain train) Funicular?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sun, 4 Aug 2002 20:57:55 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Jean-Marc Détraz writes:
Hello There,

I spent quite a few time thinking and building this funicular.
Is it the right word? It's a mountain train wich is driven on a
central cogwheel drive? Please help me with the translation...
{;~))

What you have built is not a funicular (at least in US usage), it's a cog
railway or rack railway.

http://www.funimag.com/ particularly this part
http://www.funimag.com/Funimag-funi02.html

has good info on funiculars. Funiculars are cable attached and drive/motive
power comes from a lifthouse at the top (or bottom), not cogs in the power
trucks.

(I've ridden two Swiss ones, the Polybahn (
http://mikeaz.free.fr/suisse/polybahn01.htm )and the Dolderbahn, both in
Zurich and reachable by trolley)

I saw this type a train/railway when I was living in Switzerland.
This type is not driven with a cable like some others but is totally
independent. The steepest cog railway in the world in Lucerne,
Switzerland climbs grades of 48% !

Swiss coggers are amazing. Horst Lehner and I got some amazing shots of the
one that runs near the Gotthard pass old road. It was moving amazingly fast
and you could hear gearwhine from hundreds of yards away.

Here is a link with "real pictures" of several type of funicular in
Switzerland. Most of them are cable driven.
http://mercurio.iet.unipi.it/pix/ch/funicular/Parsennbahn/pix.html

Would you be so kind to give me feedback and mabe other links about
train with cogwheel.

I LOVE your model and some of the links I gave hopefully are of some help.
Just do a Google for funicular or for rack railway or cog railway and you'll
get more.