 Trains / 16980
Re: Rare brick models
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 26 Jul 2002 15:16:06 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Bob Hayes writes:
Please tell more about the tubs at Legoland (variety, quantity and cost).  I
have never been to any of the Lego parks.  Is it something that is done at
all of the parks?

Bob - I'm afraid they're not available for sale, and I don't think any parks
other than Windsor have done it so far.
What happened was we booked a tour of Legoland Windsor through a
public/corporate entertainments organiser called "Red Letter Days".  We were
shown how they build the Legoland park models and were given the opportunity
to build our own models using some tubs of bricks provided, and take up to
1kg home with us.

These tubs were mostly full of used-once bricks from the workshops - test
models that had been dismantled, that sort of thing.  They're normally sent
for recycling, as they only ever use new bricks for the exhibits.

This meant that they had the occasional part in colours that were only ever
supplied to the parks, and aren't available in sets.  Naturally we spent as
long as we could just picking out all the rare stuff we could find.

In collaboration with some of the UK AFOL community, another day has been
organised.  The information starts on Huw Millington's "Brickset" site:
http://www.brickset.com/redletterdays/

I don't know if any of the other parks are considering someting similar, or
how international Red Letter Days are as a company.  Maybe the clubs nearest
to the parks could raise the subject.

Jason J Railton