 Trains / 16966
Re: B-unit kit...??
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 25 Jul 2002 09:38:01 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, Jan-Albert van Ree writes:
Larry Pieniazek wrote:

Since the B is all grey, you basically need 2 A unit models to make one B • or
you have to compromise on how the roof is done. Even then you're off on the
portholes (many B's have 3 grey ones). You then end up with a lot of • (mostly
useful) leftover parts.

There was talk of a conversion kit that would have just the extra parts
needed to convert an A to a B. (roof pieces, extra portholes etc, but not
wheels and not an extra wagon plate!) Not sure how many units it would move
though so maybe that's why LD held off.

Wouldn't need a fancy box or anything, just a baggie / plain white box
would be fine to most. That would cut some cost.  Toss up instructions
on the Internet and let people print it out by themselves and you win a
few more cents. I'd think a run of 2-4000 of these might be possible
this way. Besides, even if they wouldn't make a profit but just come up
even, they would show some spirit to fans, which over time would help
them much more (just IMHO though)

Ofcourse the best would be to just release a total separate B-unit, not
a conversion but that truly would be expensive. Would love to hear
Jake's comment on this (although he probably can't say too much since
it's "ongoing")
--
Jan-Albert van Ree

Dear Santa Fe Fans!

Sorry, but I see no bigger need for a B-Unit-pack. As far as I see the market
situation TLC can only support us AFOLs with a limited amount of sets. If
there came an upgrade kit, we certainly would miss another set instead.

I would suggest to buy just a second (in fact it is at least a third, because
you need A+B) Santa Fe and make up your own B-Unit. If Lego did a
upgrade-pack, I would guess that would be at least a 15...20$ set. If you buy
a second Santa Fe, you get lots of good and usefull spare parts: you can
easiely sell them or keep them. If you decide to sell the wheelsets,
windshied, baseplate, building instruction etc., your upgrade from A to B will
not cost you evidently more than any upgrade pack would do.

I would wish, Lego did any other cool train supply set instead - that could
deliver cooler parts than any upgrade set.
What about a set with nice signals(*) (not electrical one, but nice looking
ones). That could be a top-selling 15$ set instead - everybody needs some
details along the track lines....

Regards,

Ben

(*) For inspiration look here (ok, these are German signals - no idea how
different US-signals look like. - Possibly that would be a reason against a
signals pack...)
http://home.t-online.de/home/HeinerBerg/signe.htm