 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 4906
Re: B-unit kit...??
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Wed, 24 Jul 2002 14:44:54 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, Benjamin Medinets writes:
I was thinking the last couple days about the Sante Fe super chief, and
whether or not there will be an "upgrade" kit to make the engine into
a "B" unit.  (I wasn't thinking about this until I had time to seriously
mull the "Train Catalog" and to think about some of the stuff I had seen at
Brickfest.  I was surprised that this question wasn't addressed at the Q&A)

I know that there were a few train-heads that made their own units but that
looked like the requirement of buying an additional 10020 Superchief engine.
I really only want to get 2 more (unlimited versions) for the superchief
train.

Since the B is all grey, you basically need 2 A unit models to make one B or
you have to compromise on how the roof is done. Even then you're off on the
portholes (many B's have 3 grey ones). You then end up with a lot of (mostly
useful) leftover parts.

There was talk of a conversion kit that would have just the extra parts
needed to convert an A to a B. (roof pieces, extra portholes etc, but not
wheels and not an extra wagon plate!) Not sure how many units it would move
though so maybe that's why LD held off.