 Trains / 16963
Re: ATSF warbonnet doodlebug spotted
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 24 Jul 2002 21:10:10 GMT

In lugnet.trains, James Mathis writes:

Amazing!  That 'bug looks really cool.

It's just so FLAT. I bet you that's a rebuilt nose, not an original.

ATSF was notorious for rebuilding the fronts of passenger equipment, cf.
their original Super Chief assigned engines which got rebuilt with flat
shovel noses too.

Here's another shot of M160, which judging from the paint not being as fresh
as the museum shot, may have been from some time ago.

http://www.northeast.railfan.net/self_prop4.html which leads you to
http://www.northeast.railfan.net/images/sf160.jpg

That shot shows how LONG it is. Selective compression is required that's for
sure. It's all mail/baggage too. MTW-3002 is mixed with a passenger section
in the rear. (but you can see why I have the bulged roofline on it, although
the newer shots of these cars show that either fairings were applied or
something was removed from the roof)

This is apparently another shot of the same motorcar from the same page:

http://gowest.coalliance.org/cgi-bin/imager?00002258

note that it's NOT in warbonnet. But then the pic was supposedly from 1933.

Here's a sister in 1934:

http://gowest.coalliance.org/cgi-bin/imager?00002260

which shows that these were meant to pull at least one coach. (but note this
PRR http://gowest.coalliance.org/cgi-bin/imager?00014478 which is reversed.
It's got seating but is pulling an RPO (you can tell from the mailhooks its
at least a combine if not a full RPO) )

I've posted some of these links before I think. But hey, I just love 'bugs...