 Trains / 16925
Re: the problem with retail sales of trains is this...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 22 Jul 2002 09:41:59 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Kerry Raymond writes:
Think about games consoles. You can't sell anyone the games without first
selling them the console, but once you've sold the console, you can sell
them the various games, extra controllers, etc etc.

It's the same with trains. Sets like 4561 are the games consoles. They
provide the minimum you need to get started: track, regulator, motor and a
train. Once you've sold a train "starter kit", then you have a market for
individual items as people incrementally extend their layout. So, TLC need
to always have one "starter set" in their catalogue.

I don't agree with this analogy, because there's one piece missing.  Games
consoles are sold as massive loss leaders, then the money is recouped on the
accessories (games, controllers, gadgets etc.).  The model was developed
long ago for selling razors and razor-blades, and only works because the
initial outlay is reduced by strict control of the model.

Lego trains simply cost what they do, so there's no incentive for the
customer to follow this sort of model.  I can see the importance of a
starter set, so that the parents who don't take an interest can just take
one off the shelf and give it to a child - that fits right in with the way
Toys'R'Us operate.

It's certainly not how I started with Lego trains though.  As a child I had
one 4.5V push-along train.  You could even use a battery motor without any
track.  As an adult I built some trains, then bought some track, then the
controller and motor later.  Kids don't have to run these trains on track.
It's not like Hornby/Bachman scale models of trains.  I presume LEGO have a
hard time getting this across though.  Perhaps some pulicity pictures of
kids running MOTs around on the floor would help?

Jason J Railton