 Trains / 16914
Re: the problem with retail sales of trains is this...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sun, 21 Jul 2002 02:08:11 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Jonathan Wilson writes:
All you can get (at least here in .au) is the large, expensive 4561 (here
in .au, its not usually on sale but even at some of the sale prices US
people talk about, its still expensive compared to e.g. a hogwards castle,

In the states, we AFOL's wait until 4561 goes on sale, say $65 to $99 tops.

Parents look at it and see how expensive it is and thing "I cant afford
this" (the only reason I got my 4561 was because it was on clearence)

The right way to sell trains is to move to selling individual bits.
For example, you could buy an engine and some track now then later go back
and buy a motor and regulator for the engine, perhaps some rolling stock or
mabie some accessories.
Not saying that the large train sets should be discontinued but that there
should be an alternative. Here in the shops, I see most other toy train
lines (e.g. Thomas wooden track, Thomas blue tomica world track etc) do
this where they have accessories, trains, rolling stock etc available
seperatly. Lego trains is the only kind of train for which you cant go into
a store and walk out with a complete, working setup and not buy a "train
set". The lack of accessories at retail is a problem.

On the other hand, brad did comment in the brickfest chat that "getting the
stores to carry track and accessories is hard". The question here is: Why
is that so? Probobly if more rolling stock, accessories, engines etc was
available, stores would be more inclined to carry trains.

I remember visiting a small toy shop with boxes of track about six years
ago. I kept waiting for the track to go on sale, it was priced $1 over S@H,
but without shipping costs. I bought two boxes of curve and three of
straight. After two years, the track dissapeared. I'm sure the shop owner
had no interest in restocking. The shop is still in business, but doesn't
offer Lego any more. They have a great selection of Playmobil. I hope I
don't make an ethical error, but to confirm my observation, the toy store
is: The South Pole, in Richmond, Virginia. At one time, the owner purchased
lots of Lego train accessories. No more.

Bert Waters