 Trains / 16868
Re: Engine shed design
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 10 Jul 2002 22:15:01 GMT

David K. Z. Harris wrote:

  I like the start of this. I put one set of 4x5 windows on my
roundhouse, but they don't let much light in. (I meant it as
a way for minifigs (and the viewing public) to see into the
roundhouse, versus to let the light in. But I like your big
arched windows!

Thanks, but I need to give LEGO credit for those... I got some
inspiration from their design, including most of the window structure.
I found the black frames too dark so I went with white to give the place
a bit of a friendlier look.

Most of the light will come from the back since I intend to keep one
side open so I can still play with the building, just like LEGO does
with their buildings.

  I also like the third track on the outside.

I plan to put my crash team train on that track... some cranes, a big
tools car and a nice diesel locomotive (2* 7814, 7820 and 7755 probably)
Tracks like this are very common here in Holland, might even scan some
pics of the big Tilburg workshop where they do all big overhauls here in
Holland for diesel & electric engines.

> On thing I noticed
from the pictures was that there seems to be a track switch
near the entrance (with the blue switcher engine on the lead),
and I think the switch may be too close for allowing longer
cars to enter. (Since the roll-up doors are only 8-studs wide,
and longer cars, or wider cars (like the Octan tanker from
LEGO) may catch on the sides.) You may want to add an
extra section of straight track in front of each bay.

I already found that one out :D Still playing with loads of things here,
  everything so far is trial and error. During the interior building I
discovered several flaws in the structural design, which forced me to
add some big columns.

(Just updated the image gallery with some new pics of this)

Thanks for the comments! As soon as I find out how to do bulk ordering
here from Europe I'll post some pics of the building with a complete
roof. And then it's on to part two...

Jan-Albert van Ree