 Trains / 16804
16803  |  16805
Subject:
Engine shed design
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 3 Jul 2002 18:00:50 GMT

After having seen the shed shown on the LEGO website in the trains
corner and discussing this with some friends, I decided I should "have a
go" at it too.

My inspiration came from the LEGO design, combined with an old building
at Hengelo (Overijssel, Netherlands) which was built in 1905 or 1906 as
an engine shed (Locomotief loods in dutch)

The idea is a 2-track shed, with a top crane going through 1/2 of the
building, the other halve will have an attic with offices.
Construction is well underway, unfortunately my supply of black roof
bricks, red standard bricks and white 4*5 windows wasn't enough so right
now we build as the packages come in.

Some images, including a few of the real life example, can be found at
http://artsen.vanree.net/lego/ under the locloods link.
(the real life shed once had an angled roof, but this was changed
somewhere in the fifties, when the steam locomotives made way for diesels)

Would love to get some feedback!
--
Jan-Albert van Ree | http://artsen.vanree.net/lego/