 Trains / 16657
Re: Micromotor Point Switcher (!)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sat, 8 Jun 2002 02:39:33 GMT

Second, and more importantly, since the point's main switching mechanism
is bypassed, the electrical switching is bypassed as well. As a result,
the siding will be electrically dead, even when the point is set to it.
This can be remedied by making the point fully powered. This means you
can't park unused engines on the sidings (without much more complicated
wiring), but other than that, it does not affect the trains.

To power the siding, simply use an electrical jumper to connect the
unpowered track of the siding to the corresponding powered track of the
mainline. This can be done (expensively) with two LEGO track power
connectors, but I decided to go non-LEGO for this part of the project.
Doing so meant a cost of less than a dollar, versus $12 for the two LEGO
connectors. See the following photo for clarification on where to
connect the wires:
You could use a polarity switch (assuming you can get one) on the wire between the mainline and the siding./
This would allow you to controll the power to the siding (forward, reverse or off) much like a real model railroder would do.