 Trains / 16597
Re: Challenge of the Shinkansen
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sun, 2 Jun 2002 16:27:12 GMT

In lugnet.trains, James Mathis writes:
While prowling for new MOC ideas, I ventured to the Japanese Shinkansen
photo sites.  There look to be several good sleek design challenges here:
http://www.h2.dion.ne.jp/~dajf/byunbyun/gallery.htm

I first saw Shinkansen work from Masayuki Ogura a few years ago with is JR0
series set.  Excellent work.
I think Larry P. even stepped outside is US Proto pants and built a
Shinkansen set!  ;-)  (or is my memory incorrect...?)

Indeed I did.

and the thread starting at

http://news.lugnet.com/trains/?n=8956

give the skinny. It was done with help from Nik, because he had to do a
school project on Japan in second grade, and he chose Shinkasen as his
topic, knowing that he could count on me to help him out! Smart boy...

That train is still together and runs faithfully at every MichLTC show...
usually a crowd pleaser. It's not very strictly prototypical (although it
was modeled after early style units, not the much more swoopy later units
that you can see at the EJLTC site) but it's got high cute factor.

I may still make a Shinkasen set someday for MTW, I have 20+ 4561s
stockpiled to serve as raw material.