 Trains / 16384
  LEGO meeting the engraver

Hi All, After long consideration I decided to mutilate bricks. I have resorted to only de-facing then so far. One might say its more like a 3D decal, others my scoff. This is what LEGO designers do, so why not. We have directly influenced them on (...) (22 years ago, 10-May-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: LEGO meeting the engraver

(...) What is that, a *push* train? (URL) (no sense in *all* of us cutting and pasting:-) I like the idea, Steve-- very innovative. The possibilities and applications are endless. And perhaps mutilation is *the* way to go, because even if TLC were (...) (22 years ago, 10-May-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: LEGO meeting the engraver

Interesting indeed Steve, do you have any close shots of and engraved brick by itself? How are you doing the engraving? jt (...) (22 years ago, 10-May-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: LEGO meeting the engraver

(...) This is really cool, Steve. Milling grooves into the parts can get you designs that would be impossible or at least costly to mold into the part. Molding a texture on the side of a brick is expensive. It requires more moving parts in the mold, (...) (22 years ago, 10-May-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: LEGO meeting the engraver

I took some better pics... (I nuked the old ones) www.brickshelf.com/c...gi?f=16873 SteveB (...) (22 years ago, 10-May-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: LEGO meeting the engraver

While attempting to get the close up the sucker slipped and... (URL) thing these are LEGO! (...) (22 years ago, 10-May-02, to lugnet.trains)

That is just beautiful. Probably some purist put a hex on your train. -- Bob Fay THE SHOP (URL) Barile" <steve.e.barile@intel.com> wrote in message news:GvwuK5.BA0@lugnet.com... (...) brick (...) (22 years ago, 10-May-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: LEGO meeting the engraver

Erik, As someone with a little molding experience (sand casting for metal, and injection molding), I understand what you're saying. I thought for a while about how to do that, and you are right, you do need a moving cam inside the mold so the part (...) (22 years ago, 10-May-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: LEGO meeting the engraver

The rest of the story... I met Tommy Armstrong at BricksWest. He has a buisness that does custom engraving and created all the name badges for BricksWest (and I think Brickfest as well). Anyway he and I discussed custom engraving patterns onto (...) (22 years ago, 10-May-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: LEGO meeting the engraver

(...) Very cool looking, Steve. The effect is stunning. later, James Mathis (22 years ago, 10-May-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: LEGO meeting the engraver

And the .dat files for the 3 ribbed bricks 1x2, 1x4, & 1x8 (1.9k): www.sstanamera.com/~...ks_all.zip BIG thanks to Tony Halfner for creating these! SteveB (...) (22 years ago, 10-May-02, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.cad)

  Re: LEGO meeting the engraver

(...) As far as I can see, Hafhead appears to have a minor obsession with apocryphal brick designs. If he keeps this up, he may actually have to come up with some kind of forward-looking naming scheme. ;) These are way cool, BTW. -- Hop-FrogXAAA.DAT (22 years ago, 10-May-02, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.cad)

  Re: LEGO meeting the engraver

(...) Steve, Those really look great, very clean when all together on the train. Nice idea. jt (22 years ago, 11-May-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: LEGO meeting the engraver

NICE! I gotta wonder, could a slope be "ribbed" to match a corrigated brick? It would make a nice vent for a DB on a locomotive, or on a F40PH! Finnaly can get the vent to make the angle of the roof!? Josh (22 years ago, 11-May-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: LEGO meeting the engraver

Yeah! Great work!! I love to see the raw material (raw Lego ;) being put to good use :) My only question is "Is the only difference between engraving and milling the depth of cut?" Another few 10/1000 and you too will have your own window parts. JB (...) (22 years ago, 11-May-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: LEGO meeting the engraver

(...) Excellent stuff, Steve (and Tommy). Now my mind is whirling with possibilities. :) Could a little more information about what different kinds of things would be possible be given? As well, of course, as what kind of time/effort/money are (...) (22 years ago, 12-May-02, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.general)

  Re: LEGO meeting the engraver

(...) No, that would be Hop-FrogXAAC.DAT I believe. At least if you were printed/engraved on a torso or basic brick. -- Tony Hafner (who's endured Steve's english enough to not be offended by his constant misspelling of my name) www.hafhead.com (22 years ago, 13-May-02, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.cad)

  PNLTC mugs

POn May 11th in Centralia, WA, PNLTC had a little train-fest get together with 16 members from all around the Pac NW. Pics to follow on our web page but here's pic of the members present. www.brickshelf.com/c...i?i=170465 SteveB (22 years ago, 13-May-02, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.cad)

  Re: LEGO meeting the engraver

I typically think in picture and the 1/2 head smiley face wallpaper on your web page prompted your name misspelling, not saying that i donno how ta mispel ;) SteveB (...) (22 years ago, 13-May-02, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.cad)