 Trains / 16257
Re: 12v layout with opperating possibilities
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sat, 27 Apr 2002 18:45:53 GMT

Cary Clark wrote:

In lugnet.trains, David Graham writes:
I find 8' is the maximum width of a layout, as you can only reach in by 4',
but then there is mainly town in the centre of the layout.
I'd love to be able to reach four feet. That means that from one
outstretched fingertip to the other, I'd have a span of nearly 10'! That
would be great at basketball, as well as playing the piano (or two).

If you put the table lower, you can get a longer reach, especially if
you scatter some strategic open spots (like road intersections) to put a
hand onto for bracing. 30" is the maximum recommended in Model
Railroading books.

Seriously, my tables are 4' deep now, and sometimes I think that is too
wide. But Frank could install the standard model-railroader trap door in the
middle of his table and that would help a lot. If the trapdoor was 2'x2',
then the most of the table would be accessible from the inside or outside
with a reach of 2.5' (except of course for the middle of the corners).

Note that the inner rectangle of baseplates in the plan is actually an
access pit, 30"x60".

Hard to imagine building a city on top of the trap door, however. Maybe if
the trap door's platform could rise straight up? Now that would be
ridiculously hard to install, but very, very cool.

One could put a lake or so on the trap door. Model Railroaders often use
lift out panels, which are lifted straight up, but then you need a place
to put it, or need to be able to turn it to bring it back down through
the hole.

Frank, I can't wait to see the 12V control layout, with 21+ remote point
controls and so on. That in itself will be jaw-dropping. And of course, I
can be jealous of the 12V geometry that allows you to have all of those
tightly spaced sidings.

That's one reason I'm seriously considering 12v for a home layout. Of
course it does restrict one to 6 wide trains, but then I've never been
one for 8-wide (I like how they look, but I like to be able to operate
LEGO stock equipment along with my MOCs). I probably don't have enough
remote turnouts, so some of them would have to be manual. Good
candidates would be the yard and industrial spurs (since manual
uncoupling would be in store. Of course with an unlimited budget, the
yard tracks and industrial spurs would have Signal Tracks also, along
with remote turnouts so that they could easily be used to store trains.

Also I like to have several trains running at once, it's nice to sit back
and watch them.  You can only have two or maybe three trains running at one
time. For the size it would be nice to have more.

I wanted to have some space for a town and other scenery. Also, my goal
is to allow more operation than just watching trains orbit. The layout
does allow for running two trains continuously without worry. One could
work a third loop in without giving up too much, I just didn't want to
do it.

Note that I haven't laid out a monorail, which could easily add two more
"trains" running continuously.

Frank