 Trains / 16252
16251  |  16253
Subject:
12v layout with opperating possibilities
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sat, 27 Apr 2002 10:42:20 GMT

As I'm starting to be moved into my apartment, I've started to think
about what to do for a train layout. I could put a 12'x12' layout in the
garage. Here's a possibility:

The baseplates mark the boundaries of the table, including the access
pit in the center. The layout features two loops, several passing
sidings, a yard, an engine house, and several industrial spurs. The
layout is designed to allow some degree of operation beyond just running
trains in circles. To this extent, it has been set up for three train
controllers (cabs in model railroading parlance). There is one cab for
each loop, and a third to allow a switcher to run around servicing the
industrial spurs and the yard. This layout could easily keep two
operators busy, and even a third operator could be employed. The Main
Line is structured to not have any S-curves or other tricky trackwork.
This will allow a wider variety of equipment to be run.

Of course one operator can run the whole thing by letting the trains on
the Main Line and Inner Loop orbit while operating the Switcher. The
Switcher may then be parked while tending to one of the other trains to
handle set outs and pick ups.

Here is the layout labeled for explanation below:

Note that the blue track sections are the locations of the insulating
tracks from 7860 Signal Track.

CABS:

A - Main Line
B - Inner Loop
C - Switching

BLOCKS:

1  - Main Line
2  - Siding 2 (Main)
3  - Siding 3
4  - Siding 4
5  - Siding 5
6  - Connector 6
7  - Connector 7
8  - Engine House (Track 8)
9  - Engine House (Track 9)
10 - Engine House (Track 10)
11 - Inner Loop

INSULATING SIGNAL TRACKS:

Label   Normally  Connects
1A, 1B  closed    Siding 2 to Main Line
2A, 2B  open      Siding 3 to Main Line
3A, 3B  open      Siding 4 to Main Line
4A, 4B  open      Siding 5 to Main Line
5       open      Connector 6 to Siding 3
6       closed    Connectors 6 and 7
7       open      Connector 7 to Siding 3
8       open      Engine House Track 8 to Connector 6
9       open      Engine House Track 9 to Connector 6
10      open      Engine House Track 10 to Connector 6
11      open      Connector 7 to Inner Loop
12      open      Connector 6 to Inner Loop

A-B pairs only have one controller. The above connections result in the
following sets of block assignments:

CAB  Blocks
A    1, 2
B    11
C    6, 7, 10

When the Switcher needs a run-around track, Signal Track 5 or 7 is
closed to connect Block 3 to Blocks 6, 7, and 10.

Blocks 4 and 5 can store alternate trains for the Main Line. A clever
way to swap trains is to wait for the train on the Main Line to get to
Block 2, and then let one of the trains out of Siding 4 or 5, while also
setting the other turnout on the siding to let the old train in. When
the old train is safely in the siding, the Signal Track is opened, and
the turnouts set back to the main line. A safer way to swap trains is to
run the main line train into Siding 2 and stopped. Then Signal Track 1A
is opened, Signal Track 2A is closed, and either Signal Track 3A or 4A
is opened (depending on which train will be used). The turnouts are
switched so the new train will run into Siding 3. The new train is run
into Siding 3 and stopped. Then 2A is opened and 1A is closed. The old
train is then run into the vacant siding and 3A or 4A is opened. Then 2A
is closed and the new train is run out onto the Main Line (with
appropriate turnout switching). One it is out, 2A may be opened.

If the switcher is not used, a nice long inner loop can be had by
running through the Connector Tracks.

The switcher can do a reasonable amount of switching, with a decent
sized yard, availability of a run-around track without fouling the Main
Line, and 3 industrial spurs. Additional spurs could easily be added.
Note that some of the spurs face the opposite direction, requiring the
use of the run-around track. Additional spurs could be added, it might
be nice to add one to each of the Main Line and Inner Loop. One could
also add a spur with a switchback for extra cleverness.

The Switcher can set cars out for pickup by trains on either loop. For
the Main Line it is a little easier since the switcher can leave them on
Siding 3. For the Inner Loop, the switcher could leave them near either
Signal Track 11 or 12, and if done right, the train on the Inner Loop
can reach them without entering Block 6 or 7. Of course cars can be set
out by the trains on the Main Line or Inner Loop for the Switcher to
pick up.

It is recommended that uncoupling be done by hand, but 12v uncouplers
could be scattered around. Of course if we ever get Kadee couplers,
operation could be totally automated. The Switcher operator should stand
on the outside of the layout and can reach everything from there (in
fact, the only trackage which would normally need access from the pit
would be the long spur which ends near the engine house, all other spurs
and sidings are easily accessible from the outside of the table).

I'm not sure if I have quite enough 12v track to do this. I would need
to do it with mixed grey and blue track definitely. I think I have just
barely enough signal tracks, but I would need to get more controllers.
If Signal Track 6 was eliminated, 3 controllers would be eliminated (5
and 7 become a pair and 11 and 12 become a pair). This would not limit
operation too much (it just means the whole switching area is one
block).

I think my garage is actually wide enough that I could widen the layout
to 15'. I'm not sure I would expand the track much, it might be nice to
use that additional real estate for a decent city area. It might be nice
to add the space on the right, and move the Main line out to the edge
(but perhaps not all the way to the edge). The industrial spur on the
right could then be moved out a little bit.

I think this layout demonstrates that it is possible to set up a "real"
model railroad with LEGO trains in a reasonable amount of space. Of
course if done with 9v, some compromises would need to be made since
passing sidings will be wider spaced. The need for signal tracks goes
away though care will need to be taken with how turnouts are set.

Ok, here's the 9v version. The engine house now just has two tracks and
one passing siding has been eliminated off the main line. The yard has
been expanded to 4 tracks, but would also be decent with 3 tracks. There
is definitely less space for structures. The layout:

An earlier version of the layout is at:

I have also added my interpretations of John Allen's Time Saver
switching problems:

The Time Saver is a nifty little switching problem. Three versions are
indicated. The two on the left are for 24-28 stud 8 wheel cars with
trucks while the one on the right is for 16 stud 4 wheel cars.
Unfortunately, for the short cars, only 12v (or 4.5v) track works. The
locomotive used should be the same size as a car.

I don't have the rules handy, but the basic idea is that you set out
some cars on the tracks. The car(s) on track C are being delivered to
one of the other tracks, while one or two other cars will be loaded now
and should be set out on track C for pickup by the next train.

Frank