 Trains / 1619
1618  |  1620
Subject:
Diesel F Series A & B Units (was Re: Deisel F Series A & B Units
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 16 Jul 1999 14:52:50 GMT

Very nice. It says "F" to me. Some comments.

Nose needs work. The coupler makes it look too bulky.  Rather than
trying to make a coupler that pivots, mount a magnet directly in the
pilot (using either the 2x2 magnet holder plate, mounted vertically, or
the space magnet holder which has as top stud and a technic pin socket)
and recess it somewhat, or omit it entirely, or keep it connected to the
front truck with a long link (Look at the work of James Mathis for
inspiration, he has some neat long link coupler ideas) that passes
through the pilot in a cutaway opening.

Early E units had "dummy" couplers, which is a bit of a misnomer... the
couplers were hidden behind doors and were not normally visible unless
the coupler was in use, which was not often in passenger service unless
it was an A B A or A B B A consist.

Later Es and most Fs had the coupler built into the pilot but it was
more recessed than your design. If you don't plan to build another A
unit, the coupler can be mostly for show and needn't actually work
correctly.

Also, dunno about the nose deck, something there doesn't quite look
right. Try using a single layer of tiles instead of two layers of
plates.

I like the simulated doors, you may want to just set them back 1/2 brick
if you didn't already. What's with the single red roof brick? Did UP
have a vertical stripe there?? Also the horns are bulky...  I grant
everyone uses them but me. I favor faucet handles mounted in 1x1 with
top clips. The vertical "hostler's" horn on the B unit is a nice touch.

I have tried and tried to come up with good portholes. Technic holes
really are too small, but they still look better than no portholes at
all and I don't know of any other way.

All in all, a very nice model. Now you just need 50 yellow train windows
to build a nice passenger consist for it to pull.

PS it's Diesel, not deisel... Named after its inventor, Rudolf Diesel, a
German, who died in mysterious circumstances just prior to WWI while on
his way to England. (IIRC)

Brian Darrow wrote:

I have been working on a stylized Union Pacific F Series A and B unit as
a heavy hauler for my layout.
lugnet.