 Trains / 1588
Re: got my first train
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 8 Jul 1999 17:00:25 GMT

Christopher,

I think John Neal hit the "nail on the head" with his advice.  Like Larry
P., I'm not sure I'd pay full retail price for an additional speed
regulator.  After all, you already own a speed regulator from 4559, and I'm
not sure you even said you wanted another one, so...

While at first glance it doesn't seem that way, you'll find that 4559 has a
lot of great parts for train creations.  It's the only big Train set I own
and I've gotten a lot of mileage out of the parts.  It enabled me to build
my 4-4-0 steam engine, which I still can't bring myself to disassemble.  If
you're looking for an additional Train set, I think 3225 is a good way to go
if you're on a budget.  While I don't own it, it's a set I'd very much like
to have.

If I had another $140 to spend, 4565 (Freight and Crane) might be my next
choice, mainly for the parts, because I don't like the engine and cars
included.

For smaller Train sets, I really like the crane set that goes for $38.50
through S@H (I forgot the set number).  They are advertising these again,
but they say "Limited Quantities" which normally means it won't last long.

There are several new Town Jrish Train sets, including a new train station,
but I'm not sure any of them are worth the money if you're on a budget.  I'd
say the new "Cherry Picker" rail car is the nicest of the new sets (about
$14.50 through S@H).

It's too bad you missed the 2150 Train Station, because that set was very
cool.  2126 "Train Cars" is O.K., but again, I can't see justifying spending
limited funds on, what I consider, an overpriced set like this.  3225 is the
better deal for the $$.

HTH,
Steve Berry