 Trains / 1586
Re: got my first train
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 8 Jul 1999 15:35:20 GMT

Call 9-1-1, you've been bitten badly!;-)   All seriousness aside, welcome to
the world of trainstrainstrains!  It's great to see such enthusiasm and
excitement over our little hobby.  Here's some advice I'd give to a "rookie"
who is just starting out:

1) Make a budget and figure out how much you are able to spend each month.
It's not cheap collecting Lego, especially if you are thinking about building
MOCs.
2) *Try* to be patient.  Pace yourself.  This is my biggest problem.  You start
a big project and you want it finished now, but aquiring the necessary pieces
takes time and money.  The joy is in the planning, aquiring, meeting folks with
whom you trade for pieces, and building.  Don't be in a hurry to get to the
final product.
3) Since you will be building MOCs, participate in auctions such as Auc and
MA.  For quicker results, try JABA or the Brickyard.  Quicker still try
BAYLIT.  These fantastic resources will enable you to collect the particular
bricks you need cheaper than if you bought sets for those pieces.
4) Buy sets on sale.
5) Above all, have fun with it!  You will have a nice little collection going
by the time you have kids, if you decide to have kids (which, BTW, I also
recommend;), and they will thank you for it.

As far as the 3225 goes, I happen to think it's a good deal for parts,
especially the red train windows.  I think, however, that this may be the last
year for that set, so...
Also good to see you have a supportive LS!  Lucky man;-)

My .02,
John

Christopher Tracey wrote:

Here's my story.  I wanted a Lego train since I first saw the twelve volt
trains many years ago.  I never had them, but my dad is a model railroader,
formerally HO but now N scale, so I had a lot of railroading experience
growing up.  Last week, I was telling my wife how there is a new jouniorized
train coming out this month and if we really want a train we should get on
soon.  Tuesday night she was looking over the Lego collection in the corner
of the bedroom and decided that a train would make the collection a little
more complete.  So I met up with her after work yesterday and we went to
Zainy-brainy and brought a 4559.  Actually, she paid for it and called it
our two-month anniversary present.

After we completed building it, she decided that we need some more track in
a few weeks(I wanted more track also, but was keeping quiet so she wouldn't
think I would spend all of our spare cash on trains).
I could barely sleep last night, I stayed up late a built an interlocking
tower and began working on a passenger station.  I think tonight I am going
to rebuild the cars into something a little more prototypical and start
saving up for track, wheelsets and couplers, and some more kits.  Which kits
do you guys recommend that are currently available.  I am mainly looking for
pieces to build other cars.   Would the 'Classic Train' be a good source in
terms of price for the extra parts?  Any other hints for a first time train
owner?

Thanks,

Chris