 Trains / 1585
Re: got my first train
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 8 Jul 1999 15:08:03 GMT

Christopher Tracey wrote:

Here's my story.  I wanted a Lego train since I first saw the twelve volt
trains many years ago.  I never had them, but my dad is a model railroader,
formerally HO but now N scale, so I had a lot of railroading experience
growing up.  Last week, I was telling my wife how there is a new jouniorized
train coming out this month and if we really want a train we should get on
soon.  Tuesday night she was looking over the Lego collection in the corner
of the bedroom and decided that a train would make the collection a little
more complete.  So I met up with her after work yesterday and we went to
Zainy-brainy and brought a 4559.  Actually, she paid for it and called it
our two-month anniversary present.

After we completed building it, she decided that we need some more track in
a few weeks(I wanted more track also, but was keeping quiet so she wouldn't
think I would spend all of our spare cash on trains).
I could barely sleep last night, I stayed up late a built an interlocking
tower and began working on a passenger station.  I think tonight I am going
to rebuild the cars into something a little more prototypical and start
saving up for track, wheelsets and couplers, and some more kits.  Which kits
do you guys recommend that are currently available.  I am mainly looking for
pieces to build other cars.   Would the 'Classic Train' be a good source in
terms of price for the extra parts?  Any other hints for a first time train
owner?

I started with one of each of:

4559 Cargo Railway
4565 Freight & Crane Railway
3225 Classic Train
2126 Train Cars

I then added:
2nd 4559 Cargo Railway (1)
2nd 4565 Freight & Crane Railway (2)
2nd 3225 Classic Train (3)
2 4555 Freight Loading Station (4)
2 4552 Cargo Crane (5)
4556 Train Station
4533 Train Track Snow Remover

(1) combined with 2 5542 Black Thunder, and soon bunches of other parts

(2) I decided this was a better source of long cars than 2126

(3) The windows from the 2 "cabooses" will be put on one of the long red
plates from 4565 to make a nice passenger car.

(4) I wanted two of the crane supports to make a better looking crane

(5) I wanted the doors and windows, I'll be selling one of the cranes
probably

For someone who wanted to start on trains with a decent set up, but
isn't as crazy as I am, I would suggest:

4565 Freight & Crane Railway
3225 Classic Train
4548 Electric Train Speed Regulator
one of the track bundles from S@H

This will give you a decent set of cars (mostly freight) and enough
parts to build a decent engine (if you don't like either of the included
engines). You can quickly add a 2nd speed regulator to run both trains
at once, or wait til you end up with a train set which comes with one.

4559 is decent, and something can be made of it, but it takes much more
work than the sets listed above, you also need to order some service
packs to fix it up since its missing 2 pr. couplers and 2 bogies/trucks.

I would add either another 3225, a 2126, or one of the smaller sets
next, along with more track.

--
Frank Filz

Work: mailto:ffilz@us.ibm.com