 Trains / 15387
Re: HoMa and the Trans Namib
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 26 Feb 2002 11:54:54 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Holger Matthes writes:
Hi @ll,

just realized while relaxing in the Desert Express office that I am not onlz
a topic in Windhoeks german newspaper :-)

Yeah, this is really a fascinating trip the people from Desert Express and
the inwolved tourism operators (AVIS - giving a 4x4 for our trip through the
Namib Desert; KALAHAR SANDS Hotel in Windhoek; HANSA HOTEL in Swakopmund,
MOLA MOLA dolphin cruses in Walvis Bay; Sossosvlei Lodge; Wolvedans and my
more) have set up for me. Now mz trip is slowlz coming to the end and I
really would like to say "Thank you" to all who made this possible. During
the trip Lana the Avis manager of Namibia and Anita and Leon from Desert
Express joint me.

Last week I went on the real train after having a little presentation at
Windhoek station. While going to Swakopmund we stopped for a lions feed and
we saw some rhinos (!). Thatfor the trains even went back a couple of
hundreds metres. The next morning we stopped in the middle of nowhere to
climb up some of the highest sand dunes in the world.

After spending the night in Swakopmund we went on a dolphin cruse and later
on with the 4x4 into the desert. And then the most special happend: It
rained in the desert! That is so rarely for the country that everone here is
happy about it. And in two weeks time the desert will turn into a beautiful
colored green landscape - that's what they say.

Oh man... Sweet!
Have you found any diamond yet? ;-)
Namibia sounds cool. Or hot, depending on where you stand!

Back to the LEGO aspects ...

But Homa had a lot of work with collecting the bricks for his first Desert
Express train. Later he had to collect every single brick once again to build a
perfect copy of his first train. I think his free flight and travel on the real
train is not a too high payment in the end...

Well, the first copy was build with my personal bricks, but a big Thank You
to all who helped with teh 3500 pieces for the copy.

The DE is still one of the coolest 8-wides I have ever seen. If anybody tries
to become new 8-w king, this model is in my opinion one of the references which
has to be beaten.

:-))  .. don't forget the BR 10 and the BR 101

Homa, ich wünsch Dir noch angenehme Tage in Namibia: Komm' heil zurück und
bringe uns ein paar schöne Sonnen-Bilder mit ins naßkalte Deutschland.

Ben, danke, die habe/hatte ich hier auf alle Faelle. Wie gesagt, es hat
jeden Tag geregnet, aber im Vergleich zu Deutschland war es wohl nur "etwas"
waermer.

Die Bilder werden dann halt nicht ganz so sonnig sein. Und wenn man genau
hinschaut, dann sieht man auf dem Glaskasten (den Transnamib extra gebaut
hat) auch ein paar Regentropen.

Many manz regards to all of you!

HoMa from Windhoek/Namibia

P.S. pictures will follow as soon as possible.

TIA for the pics,
and a little PS: check the keyboard, there is something wrong with the

Pedro (Loking forward to see the pics!)