 Trains / 15292

Subject:
Build Notes on 10020 - Santa Fe Super Chief
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sun, 24 Feb 2002 01:49:40 GMT

A couple things I noticed about the Super Chief:

1) You gotta open the package to see what your number is. Also the certificate
is un-numbered, so not really too much like a real collectable.

2) The hand rails are not colored red for the front and grey in the back as
the package and instructions show. Both are dark grey. Kinda dissappointed
about this, since it looks kinda fugly without the color matched parts...

3) The round window thingies suck. The paint/screen ink on them is too thin.
They are off color due to the lack of opacity. Also the screen does not
cover the whole tile, so there are icky dark lines around the piece. I guess
I will have to overpaint these with some model paints to make them right.

4) Lego QC must be sleeping. There are at least three distinct colors of red
brick in the thing.

5) Yummy 6 wide red windows. Fire Engine guys will go goofy for this part.

6) Groovy grey train underpinnings. You get the rails for the motot unit also...

7) There is a cool new pipe wrench piece in the set that has not been seen
before...

8) Bonus gift of 1 Black aircraft window piece. With enough of these, we can
make a nice Black Loco...

Overall a nice design. I wish they would send us the right handrails though...
For $40 ya could at least get what the package shows...

Hopefully the B Unit add-on they make for this will include better windows
and the right color handrails. All in all it looks alot like an F9 Diesel.
There are lots of nice pieces, but the $40 outlay seems a little steep for a
not so limited set that does not even have a motor. Keep in mind that most
train sets are in the $120 range and include a motor, track, AND a Speed
Control. But it rings in at around $0.12 a piece, which is not too bad for
all the cool buts in there. Hopefully the B Unit will be around $25 or so.
Or if they release just a parts pack with the important bits, maybe $15...

All in all I like the set, I just think it falls a little short for being a
"master" model with the nitpicky stuff. If they had just put another $1.00
in there to get the rails the right color and fix the windows, I would feel
much better about the $40 price. Not like they aren't making about $20-25
off of each of these or anything...

-Cabby

Re: Build Notes on 10020 - Santa Fe Super Chief
2) The hand rails are not colored red for the front and grey in the back as
the package and instructions show. Both are dark grey. Kinda dissappointed
about this, since it looks kinda fugly without the color matched parts...

have you double checked the packaging? (hope you haven't chucked it out!)
There should be an extra bag in there (not in the 10020 box) with the
correct parts (and it should be mentioned on the packing slip/invoice) If
not, phone S@H to get it sent,

hth,
Chris

Re: Build Notes on 10020 - Santa Fe Super Chief
2) The hand rails are not colored red for the front and grey in the back as
the package and instructions show. Both are dark grey. Kinda dissappointed
about this, since it looks kinda fugly without the color matched parts...

have you double checked the packaging? (hope you haven't chucked it out!)
There should be an extra bag in there (not in the 10020 box) with the
correct parts (and it should be mentioned on the packing slip/invoice) If
not, phone S@H to get it sent,

hth,
Chris

Thanks to the few people who e-mailed me about this. I checked the shipping
box again (which holds my unopened set) and lo and behold there were 2 packs
of the aforementioned peices in there.

I am still disappointed about the windows though....  ;-) But felling a
little better that the Chief has the right color scheme.

-Cabby