 Trains / 15187
Re: Metroliner question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 21 Feb 2002 10:26:49 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Adam Murtha writes:
Since I'm train illiterate, I have a question about the Metroliner.  What is
the purpose of this piece (http://peeron.com/inv/parts/2881) the cantenary?
And I've been browsing amtrak.com to find some pictures of the real
Metroliner, but the best I've found thus far is this:
http://www.amtrak.com/trains/metroliner.html
I'm sure there are better pictures around, can a real train head help a
rookie out?  :)

   It doesn't take a real train-head to answer that.  It's the
   conductor for electric power--raised to contact with the overhead
   lines.  We don't use a third rail in *every* situation.  ;)

   (Added factlet:  Boston still has power lines up for *buses*, though
   they're being phased out now.)

   best

   LFB