 Trains / 1471
Re: Help identifying Trains
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 17 Jun 1999 18:03:25 GMT

What in particular did you want to know? rec.models.railroad is a good
resource for dejanews searches for information...

Scott Edward Sanburn wrote:

http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Station/3372/cn-front-ok.jpg

Without my Diesel Spotter's Guide, (http://www.kalmbach.com to get
yours) I'm guessing.  The lead (5601) unit seems EMDish. 6 axle so some
kind of SD if it's EMD. CN was an early adoptor of the so called
"safety" or "comfort" fullwidth cab, which both units have. Perhaps an
SD40? It doesn't have the big frame of the SD45. Not enough for me to
tell on the second (9461?) unit.

Note that these cabs were designed for passenger service, then put on
hood units when railroads asked for more room for crews. They come from
FP40s and SDP40s originally, I think. (the conductor and brakeman ride
up front now that there are no cabeeses)

http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Station/3372/gt-engine-clear.jpg

Both definitely EMD. Older cabs so older units (GT is a CN subsidiary so
I think they get CN castoffs, but newer units will be fullwidth cab)
4903 is a GP. Probably a GP35 or 40 (it doesn't have the raised dynamic
blister flare of a 30) 5912 is an SD of some sort, again maybe an SD35
or 40.

Web Application Integration! http://www.novera.com

NOTE: I am leaving CTP, effective 18 June 99, and my CTP email
will not work after then. Please use my Voyager id for now.