 Trains / 14687
14686  |  14688
Subject:
Truck Trailer hauler: Road to Rails, Keeping it Simple
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 21 Jan 2002 19:58:01 GMT

Just a little tinkering with a favorite set-- 4549, Road 'n Rail Hauler.

I wanted to load the entire trailer onto simple train wheelsets with minimum
mods to the LEGO(R) design trailer.

Added 3 parts to the trailer:

1) quantity two of 6019 Plate  1 x  1 with Clip Horizontal:
http://guide.lugnet.com/partsref/search.cgi?q=6019
and
2) quantity one of 3023 Plate  1 x  2:
http://guide.lugnet.com/partsref/search.cgi?q=3023

I then made some simple train wheelsets and a connecting hitch.

I'm sure you'll immediately notice (and maybe hate) the fact that the
trailers with the standard 4-wide crates look quite small on the train
wheels and in comparison to the locomotive. Also, the design doesn't look
that appealing since the tail end of the trailer doesn't actually rest on
the train wheels. However, I was purposefully trying to minimize any
modification to the "standard" LEGO(R) truck, trailer, and crates from set
4549.  I was also trying to keep the MOC train wheels and hitch construction
extremely simple.

Just a bit of fun on a lazy Sunday....
Thanks for checking it out.

I know this type of freight haul has been worked on by others here in this
forum, but I am admittedly pretty bad at keeping track of links to MOCs.
Could someone point me toward other "trailers on train trucks" MOCs?  I'd
love to refresh my memory about other designs!

later,
James Mathis