 Trains / 14666
Re: New NYC member says hi, announces plans for "Depot 4561"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 18 Jan 2002 08:06:24 GMT

Hi Paul,

As someone who returned to Lego within the last 12 months after 20 years
away, I just wanted to say welcome back. Like you, I'm concentrating on
trains and I am currently in the process of setting up a layout with a depot
and a couple of stations.

As you have just returned and need specific bricks, I thought I'd mention
www.brickbay.com
If you haven't yet found this site, then I would recommend you go and have a
look. It is basically a shopping mall for lego pieces where lots of people
like myself sell their surplus bricks and sets and allows you to search for
specific parts for purchase.
Another site worth putting into your favorites is the peeron inventory where
you can check if specific pieces have been made in specific colors and if
so, which sets they are in. This is an extremely useful site.
http://www.peeron.com/inv

Anyway, good look with your lego building, hope to see more of your posts
over time.

Richard Morton
Chief Brick sorter
http://lego.britdog.com

"Paul Klenk" <paulklenk@att.net> wrote in message
Hi, everyone!  New Yorkers, please check in and say hello!

INTRODUCTION: I'VE ALWAYS WANTED TO PRETEND TO BE AN ARCHITECT
My name is Paul Klenk, from NYC.  I've enjoyed learning a lot since I • joined
recently and started posting.  You are all an exceptional community, and I
look forward to participating as time allows.  I am getting back into my
LEGO hobby after 25 years, and have plans for some fun stuff, especially
traditional architecture with a fresh, updated look.

WHAT BROUGHT ME BACK TO LEGO?
This Thanksgiving, my nephews and I played with their LEGO, some of which
dates back to me brother's and my original supply.  One of their wooden
games, "Cathedral," was missing a small piece, so I built one out of LEGO • in
order for the game to "be correct."  Then I got really inspired and • re-built
the entire game, including the board, out of LEGO.  So, for Christmas, my
brother sent me a bucket containing a portion of the LEGO, some old, some
new, and it got me hooked.

UPCOMING TRAIN DEPOT PROJECT
For my first model, I am designing a "depot" of sorts, a storage center • for
all the accessories in my Railway Express (4561) set.  It will swing open,
and accommodate the two mini-automobiles, the loading truck, the ramp, the
minifigs, and the service chests.  It will be a sort of
"garage-dormitory-equipment shed" for these items.  (Storage for the • actual
train cars and track will not be part of the initial project.)

For the exterior, I may try to draw from the design of the engine shed on
page 53 of the January 2002 catalog, but will change the colors so they
mirror the colors of the #4561 Railway Express cars (blue, white, black,
gray and silver).  The interior will be my own design, just large enough • to
store the items in the LEGO set.

I'll call this "Depot 4561", after the set.

SHOPPING LIST FOR THE PROJECT
Here are supplies I will shopping for, in case anyone would like to send a • bid:
- White and black slope/roof bricks
- White and black plates
- Silver parts
- Small (1x1, 1x2, 2x2) transparent red bricks
- Tiles in black, white and gray
- Long (1x6, 1x8 or higher) blue bricks
- Transparent light-blue windows and panels of a variety of shapes
- Hinges (haven't decided which ones, but they must support the structure
and fit into the overall color scheme)