 Trains / 14494
Re: How does the point work?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 9 Jan 2002 22:31:19 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Guido Heunen writes:
Hi,

I bought my first point set last week for my son and me.

We made the following track layout:

       ---------------
      |               |
      |   --------    |
      \  |        |  /
       \ |        | /
        \|        |/
         |        |
         |        |
          ---+----

At the position of the plus sign I connected the speed regulator.

My question is the following:
The right point is in a certain position and we used the left one to change
the direction of the train (in/out track). I noticed that sometimes
the train stopped when we changed the left point position.

So how does the point work?

Hi Guido,

It depends which way the right point (RP) is set, and which loop the train
is on.

If RP is fixed to the inside loop, and you use LP to send the train to the
outside loop, then switch LP back to the inside loop, there is now no path
for the power to the outside loop, so the train stops. When the train is on
the inside loop, it will never lose power, no matter how LP is set, as RP
will supply the power.

If RP is fixed to the outside loop, the situation is reversed - you'll
always get power on the outside loop, but you'll lose power on the inside
loop when LP is set to the outside loop.

Hope this helps

ROSCO