 Trains / 13907
Re: MOC Monorail with MOC Monorail
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 12 Nov 2001 22:56:39 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Derek Raycraft writes:
I know many people have already seen this Monorail from the rtlToronto
Train2 pictures, but I've finally got around to taking some more
detailed pictures of it.  Its a monorail that uses blue 4.5v train track
instead Lego's monorail track.  Hence the MOC Monorail that runs on MOC
monorail.  Ha ha, very funny. :-)

The pictures I took of it at Train2 can be found here:

The monorail was built as a proof of concept.  It was intended to test
an idea I had rather be able to stand heavy operation.  Because of this
it tends to be hard on the battery, its a little slow, and it does have
some wear problems.  I think these problems could be resolved with some
design changes but I haven't had time to work on this project since
Train2.

It uses a single technic geared motor.  If you look at the grey segment
in this picture you can the outline of this motor:

It is geared within this segment to power the drive wheels on the track.

This picture, shows the underside of this segment:

The drive wheels actually pinch the narrow part of the rail.  The side
walls of the tires run on the flanges of the rail.  This is where one of

the wear problems exists.  It needs to be modified so the rails are
being
pinched by the tires, but they aren't supporting the weight of the cars.

To power the motor, there is a 9V battery box in the first car of the
monorail.  This connects to a polarity switch on the top of that car,
then a wire runs back through the second car to the motor segment.

The other segments run on the same tires as the pinch wheels in the
drive segment, only they are turned right side up, and run on top of the

rail.  There are skids running down each side of these wheels to balance

the segment on the rail.  This makes the monorail very quiet when its
running.

I've been able to make it run on both the inside and outside curved rail

sections.  I've also managed to get it to climb a 1 block per section
hill, however it needs a couple of sections run up to get to that angle.

In the future I hope to expand the design.  Make the cars themselves
look more interesting, make it run a little faster, and hopefully solve
some the the tire wear problems.

I'd also like to develop switches and crossovers and incorporate it into
a layout.

Nice! With regard to the drive wheels, can you somehow include a vertical wheel
(free-wheeling) resting on top of the rails, to take most of the weight?

ROSCO